The Sentencing Project is a leader in changing the way Americans think about crime and punishment.
Mission: The Sentencing Project promotes effective and humane responses to crime that minimize imprisonment and criminalization of youth and adults by promoting racial, ethnic, economic, and gender justice.
Our policy priorities envision the full inclusion in society of people with criminal records and an end to extreme punishments. Our aim is to center the leadership, voices, vision, and experience of those directly affected by mass incarceration to make the rationale for systemic change vivid, credible and compelling.
- Protect voter eligibility and full civic inclusion.
- End extreme sentences in the United States.
- Safeguard youth from the ravages of the adult criminal legal system.
- Explore alternatives to justice system involvement for youthful misbehavior.
- Invest in positive community development.
What We Do: 35 Years of Fighting to End Mass Incarceration
Want to Join Us? Take Action!
Make your voice heard
Help end mass incarceration by letting your representatives know that you stand for responsible criminal justice policies.
Support The Sentencing Project with a tax-deductible contribution and help us work for a fair and effective criminal justice system.
Join local efforts
Connect with The Sentencing Project’s state and local partners to join criminal justice reform efforts in your area.